Hurricane Katrina: Five Years On
Photo: Sean Gardner / Reuters Pictures: A member of the Treme Brass Band walks past the repaired Industrial Canal levee after participating in a "remembrance walk" for Hurricane Katrina victims.
With the fifth anniversary of the landfall of Hurricane Katrina approaching on August 29, DartCenter.org highlights content from our website that is relevant to journalists and others covering the story.
- The Tragic Anniversaries section of our website is filled with tips and tools on responsible anniversary coverage.
- John Pope, reporter for the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reflects on the fifth anniversary and his own experiences covering the tragedy in "After Katrina: The Gulf Carries On."
- See Kael Alford's video "Home on the Water" and interview "Oil and Water about the impact of natural disasters on fragile coastal communities in Louisiana.
- Tanya Paperny reports on the Deepwater Horizon oil spill and the challenges journalists face when reporting on a slow-moving disaster in an already troubled region in "Grief in the Gulf."
- Witnessing the Human Cost of Climate Change," an article based on a Dart Centre Europe panel at the recent Deutsche Welle Global Media Forum in Bonn, Germany.
- A variety of other articles about Katrina from our website.