Group Think: Story Ideas
Story ideas generated by journalists during a group think session
SUICIDE IN LGBT YOUTH
1) Bullies are at Higher Risk for Suicidal Tendencies
- Talk to a bully; Talk to an adult criminal and have him/her look back on his/her life
2) "A Day of Truth”: Evangelicals bash gay communities at schools. Is a public school a complete free speech zone?
- An LGBT group & Christian group in conversation
3) People of Faith who are not accepted by their Churches
- Profile a Gay Christian Student
- Successful Re-entry into Public Life, Overcoming Mental Health Issues & Post Traumatic Growth
- The Choice: Story of someone reaching that point of despair and choosing life. What made them turn away?
- Profile veterans in community colleges; department for returning veterans; Veterans’ Employment Offices; Recruiting Offices for Contacts; Religious Organizations; Community Groups
2) Comparing Suicide Rates across borders, with a focus on Compulsory vs. Volunteer Service.
- W.H.O. has data, but countries will not report equally.
- Scientific Sense: How does contagion work?
- The Reality of Contagion in a social media saturated environment
- Temple University’s Media Lab
- Online peer support in the Twitter-verse: Expert analysis of Twitter-generated advice
- Holidays & suicide: People don’t generally choose to kill themselves during the holidays, though that is when families often hurt the most.
- Homicide vs. Suicide: There are generally MORE suicides than homicides.
- The Rise in Suicide among groups that until now have rarely killed themselves i.e. Blacks & Jews.
- Choosing Life. Stories about people that have attempted suicide and have lived to be happy that they’re still alive.
- Hidden Effects of Drugs. Stories about drugs like Lariam & others that have hidden side effects that can result in suicidal behavior.
- Students with Suicide Plans. High Percentage of HS students in Philadelphia that have admitted to having a “suicide clan.”
- Why is Suicide so Taboo? Let’s talk about it.
- Suicidal Ideation is much more common than anyone wants to acknowledge.
- Watchdog investigative reporting piece looking at whether the suicide prevention programs at colleges & universities are in place/practice.