This style guide is designed as a quick, authoritative reference for reporters, editors and producers working on tight deadlines. It includes brief evidence-informed guidance on news choices, language usage and ethics in reporting on the impact of trauma on individuals, families and communities; recommendations for appropriate use of relevant psychological and scientific terminology; and special considerations when reporting on consequential trauma-laden issues such as racism and sexual violence.
Resources on Homicide & Mass Shooting
- Interview: Mark Follman and “The True Cost of Gun Violence in America”
- Article: A Mass Shooting, Only in Slow Motion
- Health & Crime Data Sources
- Recommendations for Reporting on Mass Shootings
- Gun violence, firearms buyer background checks and mental illness: Research and insights
- View all Homicide & Mass Shooting Outside Resources
- June 22, 2021 by Isobel Thompson
- August 4, 2019
Mass shootings challenge the skill, capacity and ethics of news professionals. Below please find tip sheets and other resources for journalists covering these tragedies.
- July 29, 2019
The International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies has released a briefing paper on the trauma of hate-based violence, reviewing existing research on its impacts and evaluating the mental health needs of targeted survivors and communities.
This comprehensive series offers a ground-level view of the effects of violence on children and their families, showing not only the psychological toll on young souls, but also the success stories, and scarce resources that are available to help. Judges described this package as a "brilliant body of work" comprised of a "thoughtful mix of beautifully executed stories." They recognized the "tremendous thought and planning" that went into the project, and the "incredible level of trust" the reporters built with the community after initially encountering much skepticism. Originally published by NOLA.com | The Times Picayune in June 2018.
- View More Posts On Homicide & Mass Shooting